Program Executive Dr. Yaítza Luna-Cruz

NASA

• Publishers
Yaíta smiles broadly at the camera wearing a white dress with a pearl necklace. Her hair is long with curls and she's wearing red lipstick. She stands in front of a larger model of a globe.

“My mom had to leave school after 9th grade to support her family, but she always emphasized the importance of education. And with a lot of sacrifices, got us an encyclopedia in Spanish, ‘Enciclopedia de Las Ciencias’. By getting that encyclopedia for us, without knowing it, my mom was my first mentor because she introduced me to science. So that’s what helped fall in love with physics.

“I was the first of many things. I was the only one in my whole class that decided to study physics at the University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez. I was the first master student to do a thesis related to atmospheric physics. There was no atmospheric sciences and meteorology in Puerto Rico, I saw the need and potential, so I started the first student chapter of the American Meteorological Society in Puerto Rico. I was the first one to get a PhD in atmospheric physics from the program and there have been so many firsts since then. 

“I’m leading by example. I don’t want the people who look like me to experience what I experienced because I was alone many times. And there’s a saying that says you cannot be what you can’t see.

“So, I’m not just doing science. I’m doing Science with Purpose, and my purpose is to be the voice for those who are underrepresented in science, open doors and opportunities and help them understand that they have a space in science.”

– Dr. Yaíta Luna-Cruz, Program Executive, Earth Science Division, NASA Headquarters

Image Credit: NASA/Keegan Barber
Interviewer: NASA/Jessica Salani

Lee esta historia en español aquí.

Check out some of our other Faces of NASA. 

View the full article

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Space Force
      This week the Department of Defense kicks off a three-year pilot program meant to reimburse service members up to $1,500 for travel-related expenses incurred for a temporary child care provider following a permanent change of station move. 

View the full article
    • By Space Force
      The 8th CTS, housed within Space Delta 8 - Satellite Communications, has been working diligently to develop and provide opportunities to enhance unit members’ understanding of how they fit into the bigger picture of space operations.

View the full article
    • By NASA
      NASA/Joel Kowsky NASA launched its reimagined art program by unveiling two murals on Sept. 23, 2024. The murals, titled “To the Moon, and Back,” were created by New York-based artist team Geraluz and WERC and use geometrical patterns to invite deeper reflection on the exploration, creativity, and connection with the cosmos. The vision of this next phase is to inspire and engage the Artemis Generation with community murals and other art projects for the benefit of humanity.
      NASA has long used art to tell the story of its awe-inspiring missions. Soon after its inception, the agency started a formal program commissioning artists to develop inspiring pieces like portraits and paintings that highlighted an unexpected side of the agency. In 1962, NASA’s then Administrator James Webb tasked staffer and artist James Dean with implementing the new program, and with the help of the National Gallery of Art, Dean laid the framework to artistically capture the inspiration of NASA’s Apollo program. As the NASA Art Program continues to evolve, the agency remains focused on inspiring and engaging the next generation of explorers – the Artemis Generation – in new and unexpected ways, including through art.
      Image Credit: NASA/Joel Kowsky
      View the full article
    • By NASA
      3 min read
      Preparations for Next Moonwalk Simulations Underway (and Underwater)
      The inaugural murals for the relaunched NASA Art Program appear side-by-side at 350 Hudson Street, Monday, Sept. 23, 2024, in New York City. The murals, titled “To the Moon, and Back,” were created by New York-based artist team Geraluz and WERC and use geometrical patterns to invite deeper reflection on the exploration, creativity, and connection with the cosmos. NASA/Joel Kowsky NASA launched the next phase of its art program with two new space-themed murals in New York’s Hudson Square neighborhood in Manhattan. The vision of the reimagined NASA Art Program is to inspire and engage the Artemis Generation with community murals and other art projects for the benefit of humanity. 
      “To continue pushing the boundaries of discovery and exploration we’ll need future generations to think critically and use creativity and ingenuity to solve some of our biggest challenges, and art is essential in preparing young minds for this task,” said NASA Deputy Administrator Pam Melroy. “I am thrilled that NASA’s Art Program is returning with such an impactful project that will inspire the next generation – the Artemis Generation – to be curious, dream big, and hopefully join us in our work at NASA someday.”
      For its inaugural project NASA collaborated with the Hudson Square Business Improvement District on an open call for New York-based artists to design and install a large-scale mural inspired by NASA’s work and missions.
      The two side-by-side murals, titled To the Moon, and Back, are located at 350 Hudson Street and were created by New York-based artist team Geraluz and WERC. The team received a small award for design fees, materials, labor, and equipment, with a portion of funds provided by NASA and matched by Hudson Square Business Improvement District.
      The piece illustrates a cosmic future with a universe of possibilities expressed through the dreams and aspirations of children. The use of geometrical patterns invites deeper reflection on the exploration, creativity, and our connection with the cosmos.
      “We are thrilled to partner with NASA on this visionary project, bringing together the exciting world of space exploration and the vibrant, creative energy of Hudson Square. This installation is not just a celebration of NASA’s incredible mission, but a continuation of our commitment to transforming the public realm through groundbreaking public art,” said Samara Karasyk, president of Hudson Square Business Improvement District. “It will inspire the next generation, ignite curiosity about space exploration, and strengthen our neighborhood’s identity as a limitless hub for creativity, mirroring the infinite possibilities of outer space. We can’t wait to see how this installation captivates both locals and visitors alike.”
      NASA has long used art to tell the story of its awe-inspiring missions. Soon after its inception, the agency started a formal program commissioning artists to develop inspiring pieces like portraits and paintings that highlighted an unexpected side of the agency. In 1962, NASA’s then Administrator James Webb tasked staffer and artist James Dean with implementing the new program, and with the help of the National Gallery of Art, Dean laid the framework to artistically capture the inspiration of NASA’s Apollo program. As the NASA Art Program continues to evolve, the agency remains focused on inspiring and engaging the next generation of explorers – the Artemis Generation – in new and unexpected ways, including through art.
      For more information on the NASA missions that will inspire future projects:
      https://www.nasa.gov
      Details
      Last Updated Sep 24, 2024 Related Terms
      General Explore More
      4 min read Educational Activities in Space
      Article 3 hours ago 2 min read Station Science Top News: September 20, 2024
      Article 1 day ago 2 min read NASA Ames Stars of the Month: September 2024
      Article 1 day ago Keep Exploring Discover Related Topics
      Missions
      Humans in Space
      Climate Change
      Solar System
      View the full article
    • By NASA
      The NASA Science Activation (SciAct) Program has been selected to receive the American Geophysical Union (AGU) 2024 Excellence in Earth and Space Science Education Award. This prestigious, annual award, established in 1995, honors a mid-career or senior scientist team, individual, or group that has demonstrated a sustained commitment to broad, positive impact on Earth and space science education at any education level from kindergarten through postgraduate studies.
      SciAct engages learners of all ages in all 50 states and 4 US territories with Earth and space science. Through an extensive network of nearly 600 partners, SciAct develops, co-creates, validates, and disseminates effective learning resources and activities to support the needs of learners in their pursuit of knowledge, including specific underrepresented groups such as: Black, blind and low vision, community college, differently abled, Hispanic, immigrant, Indigenous, multilingual, neurodiverse, rural, and other underserved communities. Furthermore, SciAct project teams share lessons-learned and best practices across the SciAct community to facilitate ongoing learning and growth for the entire SciAct community, ensuring the implementation of ever-more effective approaches for reaching all learners. 
      Since SciAct began in January 2016, its network has grown in strength and capacity. When reach data were collected for the first time in 2019, SciAct reported 15 million learner interactions. Four years later, in 2023, SciAct reported nearly 76 million learner interactions, a 506% increase. With many SciAct resources freely available online, 10 million of those interactions occurred across 170 other countries. In April 2024 alone, as part of a larger NASA-led eclipse mobilization, SciAct reported more than 62 million learner interactions, intentionally bringing the excitement of that celestial event to people in all 50 states, as well as Puerto Rico, Mexico, and Canada, to include learners far beyond the path of totality.
      The SciAct model is built on a foundation of NASA science. NASA Earth and space science research content areas, missions, scientists and other technical experts, and data are the building blocks of all SciAct learning resources and activities. Nearly 1,000 subject matter experts support the SciAct program to ensure science content is accurate, up-to-date, and – working with education/learning experts – accessible to diverse learner communities. Through these interactions, SciAct also influences scientists, showing them effective ways to contribute towards learning goals and reach new audiences. An increasing number of activities are specifically focused on giving scientists – especially early career scientists – the skills and knowledge to connect with learners outside the research community. 
      SciAct began as an experiment for conducting NASA Science education and outreach in a new, more coordinated way. Eight years later, that experiment has given rise to a powerful and effective approach for sharing the wonder of NASA science, content, and experts with the world. It is an honor for the NASA Science Activation program to be recognized by AGU, the world’s largest Earth and space science association, for its role in advancing science, transforming our understanding of the world, impacting our everyday lives, improving our communities, and contributing to solutions for a sustainable future.

Details
      Last Updated Sep 23, 2024 Related Terms
      Science Activation Explore More
      2 min read NASA Summer Camp Inspires Future Climate Leaders

Article

2 weeks ago
      2 min read Leveraging Teacher Leaders to Share the Joy of NASA Heliophysics

Article

3 weeks ago
      2 min read NASA Earth Science Education Collaborative Member Co-Authors Award-Winning Paper in Insects

Article

3 weeks ago
      View the full article
  • Check out these Videos