Transportation Officer Melissa Coleman

NASA

• Publishers
ksc-20240612-ph-csh01-0017.jpg?w=2048

“Don’t let the NASA emblem scare you away.

“I was very intimidated by it because it was a childhood dream [to make it to NASA]. I saw a picture of me at Kennedy Space [Center’s] visitor center the last time I went home. I must have been five years old. I always used to tell myself that I wasn’t smart enough. [I assumed you needed to be] a literal rocket scientist, and I have absolutely no STEM [science, technology, engineering, and math] degree whatsoever.

“So my advice is, as long as you’re true to who you are, you’re transparent, you’re yourself, and you put the work in, you will get what you want.

“And make them tell you no — that was one of the first things I learned. If you don’t ask and you don’t apply, you have your answer. So make them tell you no. If you don’t ask, you’ll never know.

“And don’t be intimidated or influenced by an emblem or your perception of what kind of people are behind that emblem. Because now I realize, once I’ve made it to NASA, that it’s nothing like I thought it was. In a lot of ways, it’s better, right? Because I get these opportunities to do things that are not in my primary role to serve others, and in that capacity, it’s serving me. That’s my advice.”

— Melissa Coleman, Transportation Officer, Logistics Branch, NASA’s Kennedy Space Center

Image Credit: NASA/Cory Huston
Interviewer: NASA/Thalia Patrinos

Check out some of our other Faces of NASA. 

View the full article

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Space Force
      OTC is the Space Force’s initial leader development course created to produce a multidisciplinary officer corps with a broad understanding of mission concepts and a foundational baseline to synchronize effects across the range of Space Force operational missions.
      View the full article
    • By Space Force
      In total, the Space Force selected 53 lieutenant colonels for promotion to colonel (LSF), 145 majors for promotion to lieutenant colonel (LSF-O and LSF-F) and 210 captains for promotion to major (LSF-O and LSF-F).

View the full article
    • By Space Force
      The United States Senate confirmed Melissa G. Dalton to be Under Secretary of the Air Force May 23, clearing the way for her to become the Department’s second highest-ranking civilian leader.

View the full article
    • By NASA
      “One of my proudest, happiest moments was watching an early-career researcher, who I met first when she was a graduate student conducting research and working on some new, innovative equipment. She was going to give a demonstration to a group of visitors, and as happened with me many times, everything works perfectly until the people show up – and the equipment wouldn’t do anything. So she took a few deep breaths and explained what we would have seen.
      “And then she actually became a NASA Postdoctoral Program fellow. And I watched her scientific growth and her confidence increase, and I watched her research transition through different areas until … she finished her postdoc and she got a fellowship to do some additional work in another institution.
      “And then we were both at a conference one time, and she pulled me over and she said, ‘Melissa, I just got a call,’ and she got this enormous grant … and I realized, ‘She has launched!’ … It was cool to watch the positive things. It was important for people to be there for her, to help her through the difficult times and tell her she could do it and [say], you know, ‘Just give it some more time.’
      “She has become just like a force. She’s become one of the leaders in the astrobiology community, and I got to participate in all of that. And I’m so happy, and I know that there are going to be a ton more people who will follow in her footsteps, and I hope that I can interact with them also.
      “… I’ve just seen such tremendous things happen since I’ve been part of the Astrobiology Program, and that’s why I’m pretty confident we’re going to find life elsewhere, because there are just so many brilliant people working on this.”
      — Melissa Kirven-Brooks, Exobiology Deputy Branch Chief and Future Workforce Lead of the NASA Astrobiology Program, NASA’s Ames Research Center
      Image Credit: NASA / Brandon Torres
      Interviewer: NASA / Michelle Zajac
      Check out some of our other Faces of NASA.
      View the full article
    • By Space Force
      In a moment that would bookend the beginning of her career, U.S. Space Force 2nd Lt. Josephine Lerner—who was supporting the Chief Operations Officer front office as an intern last summer while waiting to go to technical training—had the honor of administering the oath of enlistment to the future Chief Master Sgt., of the Space Force John F. Bentivegna in Manassas, Virginia on August 19.

View the full article
  • Check out these Videos